The 18 health benefits of virgin olive oil
Olive oil is the most essential part of the Mediterranean diet and it is proven to possess numerous health benefits. To achieve these, one must limit the consumption of olives and olive oil. These are the main benefits that are currently known:
1. They slow down the effects of aging and degenerative diseases (arteriosclerosis, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, cardiovascular disease, vascular dementia, cognitive decline, diabetes type II and cancer due to their anti-inflammatory effect).
2. Reduction of risks leading to cardiovascular diseases, such as lipoprotein profile, vascular pressure, glucose metabolism and antithrombosis profile.
3. Regulation of endothelial function, inflammation, oxidative stress and depression.
4. Prevention and improvement of autoimmune diseases.
5. Cosmetic skin products (skincare) and aromatherapy.
6. Antioxidant and antithrombotic properties and improvement of endothelial function.
7. Reduction of hyperoxidative phenomena on meat fats during digestion.
8. Anti-cancer effects due to their anti-inflammatory action.
9. Protection increases in the first decades of life, so it is recommended to take olive oil before puberty.
10. Dry eye disease, progression of myopia, cataract, glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy or age-related macular degeneration, risk of vision loss.
11. EFSA Basis. They have antioxidant and anti-aging effects and increase life expectancy.
12. Preservation of tissue membrane properties, health and strengthening of the immune system.
13. Antimicrobial and antiallergic properties.
14. Prevention and improvement of gynecological problems and problems related to menstruation, menopause and post-menopause.
15. Modification and regulation of the intestinal microbiome (flora) with positive effects on the metabolism of lipids (atheroprotection), macronutrients, absorption of minerals, trace elements and vitamins), the immune system, obesity and antimicrobial effects.
16. They regulate the intestinal microbiome (flora), which can lead to weight gain by prolonging the feeling of satiety and weight loss due to improved absorption of macro-nutrients and micronutrients.
17. Olive oils can be included in functional foods and nutraceuticals that contain nutrients to strengthen the immune system
18. Anti-inflammatory action to prevent and treat inflammatory diseases caused by immune system dysfunction, such as rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, multiple sclerosis, systemic lupus erythematosus and psoriasis.